Leveraging Broadband to Power Growth
Last week the FCC unveiled recommendations for using broadband to advance key national priorities. The plan, which can be read here, identifies the top priorities as:
• Creating jobs and economic opportunity
• Improving healthcare and controlling costs
• Providing more educational opportunities and improving outcomes
• Promoting energy independence and efficiency
• Enhancing government performance & increasing civic engagement
• Increasing public safety & homeland security
A national broadband policy that recognizes the tremendous societal benefit that can be served by focusing on increased access and less barriers to entry is welcome. For that matter, a national broadband policy that defines standards would be welcome; as was postulated by Internet Media Pundit Shelly Palmer, last summer.
Broadband and communications technology can only help in the birthing and growth of new ventures, which are the sole source of all net job gains today. Increasing access to educational resources, mentoring, and funding, are likewise helping launch new firms. A cogent national broadband policy can accelerate these activities at this critical time in our economic recovery.
So take a moment to read the working paper and add your voice to the discussion.