Build a "healthy" company
Kim Popovits, CEO of Genomic Health Inc., gave the keynote speech at a Life Science Ventures Summit hosted by the Kauffman Foundation. Popovits closed her speech by stressing the importance of having a company that is "healthy" (34:56-40:22).
Part of having the healthy organization that Popovits describes involves several ideals that connect leadership to clarity within the company.
"It's about building a healthy culture and building a healthy company," said Popovits. "'Smart' will not create 'healthy,' but 'healthy' will make you smarter."
Here are Popovits' key points for building a healthy company:
- Be passionate about why you exist
- Establish and embrace a small, specific set of non-negotiable values
- Hire to your "why" and values – "smart" isn't enough
- Build a culture of candor
- Be clear and aligned around a strategy that helps define success and differentiates you from competitors - clarity...clarity...clarity
- Reward collective ownership
See Kim's talk on a "healthy" company.
comments powered by