The Entrepreneur'sRESOURCE

Explore the Resource Center to find resources.  Designed with entrepreneurs in mind, our resource center allows you to find materials to grow great ideas.

The Courage to Think Big

Gary Schoeniger, Founder and CEO, The Entrepreneurial Learning Initiative

In a  recent interview , 28 year-old  Denuo Source founder Rahul Chowdhury described how business school gave him the courage to think big; “At the end of the day no matter what you do - you start a small little shop on the corner of Michigan Avenue selling newspapers, it still takes a lot of effort. Any business, no matter what you do, takes a lot of effort. So you might as well do something bigger because the effort is the same.”

So, why not think big?   It’s an important question worthy of discussion.   

Technology has all but eliminated the barriers to entry for entrepreneurs. A laptop and broadband connection now enable us to connect with millions, even billions of people around the world. Yet, for many, internal barriers remain. In the May 2007 issue of Harvard Business Review the poet David Whyte describes our tendency to avoid leaving the 5% of the reality we know rather than explore the other 95% we don’t know: The world we inhabit vs. the next, larger world that awaits us. The temptation is to say, “I’d much rather inhabit the 5% of reality where I’m in control rather than enter this 95% where I don’t know what the hell is going on.” Whyte explains. “What is the courageous conversation I am not having but need to have to take the next step?”

Too often, it’s our fear of the unknown that prevents us from leaving the 5% that we know. The temporary discomfort of uncertainty stands between where we are right now and the other 95% of our true potential.

So I’m asking you: Why not think big?

 For the latest news on entrepreneurship, signup for the HiveFire RSS Feed.

comments powered by Disqus

Search for Resources

Stay Connected

Email Newsletter Signup

Want to get connected? Sign up to receive regular news, polls and updates from The Kauffman Foundation.

Email Newsletters

Want to be up-to-date with the latest news and updates from To subscribe, just give us your email address below; you'll choose which e-newsletters you'd like to receive on the next screen.