Email marketing is one of the oldest, most basic, and yet the most powerful forms of digital marketing available today.
The marketing world has gone crazy over social media--with good cause! Social media is an explosive method of marketing, reaching new fans in incredibly engaging ways. But in spite of social media's viral potential, email still wins as the most disruptive method to reach and woo your customers.
I launched QuickSprout in April, 2007. Since launch, I’ve sent more than 62 million emails for the site. These emails have turned into blog traffic, which turned into revenue.
I keep data on these email subscribers, and have discovered that they are the most engaged. Visitors from email are only 16% of my overall traffic. Even though that doesn’t sound like a huge percentage, those visitors produce more than a third of the blog comments, more than a third of the social media shares, and more than forty percent of the sales.
You can see why I like email marketing, and why I eagerly collect email addresses.
Consider these points:
● More people use email than social media. (Kissmetrics)
● Email customer acquisition has quadrupled over the past four years. (Custora)
● Email leads have been proven to spend more. (Forbes)
● Email marketing is three times more affective than social media, and the average customer order is 17% higher. (McKinsey)
● Email is 40 times more effective than Facebook and Twitter. (Entrepreneur)
● Email marketing has an ROI of 4,300%. (Direct Marketing Association)
When a user gives you an email address, it is a symbol of trust. They are voluntarily being marketed to. They have taken the first step in establishing a relationship. They are asking for more.
This relationship is direct, forming a 1:1 communication channel with the customer. Compare that with social media. When you post on Twitter, some people might see it. When you send an email, the customer will receive it. That’s why email marketing is so powerful — it’s personal, it’s direct, and it’s virtually guaranteed to get results.
Neil Patel Serial Entrepreneur QuickSprout, KISSMetrics, CrazyEgg